Alretun, thought to mean "the settlement by the alder trees" is found in the Domesday Survey of 1086 but there is no mention of the Chapel. References to the development of the chapel are sparse but it appears in a land grant of around 1240 AD as "Capella de Alreton". It is possible that it was established by the monks of Kirkstall Abbey for the use of their lay brothers working at the grange or small farm (the present site of the Allerton Grange estate). Or it may have been a manorial chapel set up by the lord of the manor. There are various, fairly slight, references to it during the Middle Ages when it seems to have been treated as a dependent chapel within the parish of St. Peter at Leeds, and this relationship has continued at least until the beginning of the 20th century. This meant that parishioners were able to attend services in their own area and did not have to make the then arduous journey to Leeds, especially in the winter months. During renovations in 1881, foundations were said to have been found of ‘the old Church in Norman times’ but this seems very unlikely. There is no architectural information about the mediaeval chapel but it is quite likely to have looked like the Church at Adel, with an oblong chancel and nave. What appears to be clear is that the site behind the War Memorial on Harrogate Road has been consistently identified as the site of all earlier Churches and that there has been continuity.
the 17th century onwards more documentation about the
Church and its priests has become available and it is
referred to by the Leeds historian Ralph Thoresby. During
the 19th century, which is better documented, a picture
emerges of a Church building which has been in existence
for some centuries and no longer meets the needs of the
local congregation. The building of "industrial revolution"
housing, for example in the Hawthorns and the Methleys,
indicates the level of population growth in the area at a
time when Leeds itself was growing considerably. In 1819
and again in the 1830's, 1850's, 1860's and the 1880's,
various attempts were made to enlarge the Church to cope
with this greater congregation and to deal with various
structural problems. It appears from drawings of the period
to have undergone a facelift into a Georgian Chapel with a
small tower and spire, an apsidal east end and an internal
gallery. Eventually in 1894 while discussions were being
held about the provision of a new organ, it became apparent
that there was no point in improving specific aspects of a
building which was said to be damp, unhealthy and ugly, and
not appropriate to the worship of God. A grant of land
which had been made by a parishioner in 1879 for the
construction of a parsonage house, and possibly a chapel of
ease, on what was then known as Shortcliffe Lane but which
we now know as Wood Lane, offered an opportunity to start
again. The scheme proposed by Mr G. F. Bodley was accepted
and the foundation stone was laid on the 18th October 1897.
The new Church was consecrated on the 3rd February 1900.
This was not the end of use of the old Church; it continued
for some years to be used for guild meetings and occasional
services but its main use was for funerals. The top of the
tower became insecure, making the building unsuitable for
further use, and it was demolished in the summer of 1935.
The shape of the old Church can still be seen in the
foundations in the grass of the graveyard. This had been
extended several times to cope with the growing population
and it continued in use until it was closed by an Order in
Council in 1974.
(This information comes from "The Church in Chapel
Allerton, Leeds" by George E. Kirk, Librarian of the
Thoresby Society, 1949. and now out of print).